Sunday, February 20, 2011

Time for a flu shot

When I was a kid and driving my dad crazy with a cough or sniffles, he'd head to the kitchen and make me a hot whisky. I figure he would pretty much be arrested for doing that today but there's something to be said for how effective those old remedies were. That's what I thought this was when I tried out this recipe given to me by my friend The Good Food Dude. Mr bus driver man and his buddy were hanging in the man cave playing with motorbikes and sounding retchedly sick so I whipped up a batch and delivered 2 steaming hot mugs.

It's pretty easy to make and is worthy of turning your nose up at it and even making gagging noises if you are so inclined. But trust me, when you are sick of being sick and those off-the-shelf "remedies" haven't done a darn thing to make you feel better, give this one a whirl.

Start with these 3 basic ingredients


Slice the green onions and ginger root. Don't worry about peeling the ginger - you won't be eating it. Throw it all in a pot like this


Add the garlic. I like to press the garlic cloves but if you don't have a garlic press, well, it's probably not the end of the world if you diced it up really fine. But just this once. A garlic press is an essential tool in my kitchen and I think everyone should have one. A good one, not one of those crap plastic jobs. But I digress.


Add some water and boil for about 5 mins. Strain the mixture into a cup.


Add a heaping tablespoon of honey and stir it up.


 It loses its appeal as it cools so drink up while its hot.

The recipe - Flu Shot

3 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T fresh ginger root, grated or chopped
2 cups water
2 teaspoons honey (unpasteurized if you got it)

Boil onions, garlic and ginger for 5 minutes in the water. Strain and add honey. Drink while hot!


No comments:

Post a Comment